The Lost Colony Center
for Science and Research

Maps, Images, Photographs Gallery

This page may be slow to display, due to the large amount of images.


John White Map, 1585
John White Map showing Port Ferdinando

The above two maps may be very important concerning the research of the Lost Colony. Please note the Alligator River with Indian site indicated at the head of the river on the southeast side. This village has been measured and is exactly 50 miles from Roanoke Island, and is named Tramaskecooc. In the following two maps the same Indian village, Tramaskecooc, is now shown on the northeast side of the Alligator River, four miles from the head of the river. (see Research Paper on Migration Patterns of Coastal N.C. Indians)

White-deBry Map, 1590

White-deBry Map, 1590; annotated

Zuniga Map, 1606

The above Zuniga map is the most important document related to the Lost Colony. Please note the Panauuaiooc Indian village located on the Pamlico River at the present-day location of Chocowinity. This Indian village is documented on at least 20 maps and is where Zuniga reports the (lost) colonists to be. This map was probably drawn by John Smith of Jamestown. A copy of it was found in the Spanish archives, in the files of the Spanish spy network.

1606 map

Ogilby Map, 1672; indicated
John Lawson Map, 1709; indicated

Moseley Map, 1733; indicated
Mouzon Map, 1775; indicated

The above four maps indicate that the Croatan Indians have moved inland where they control two million acres instead of the 40 acres in the Croatan village on the Outer Banks. It is supposed that the land was acquired as a result of power obtained by trading commondities for gun powder brought by the settlers.

Price-Strother Map, 1808; annotated

The red dots in the above map indicate high sandy ridges (protected Indian sites) and were located with IKONOS satellite images through research with ECSU. This entire area was controlled by the Croatan Indians. Please note the '50 miles into the maine' as quoted by John White.

Diego Map showing rough seas

Map showing Indian villages

Indian village capitals

Anonymous map probably drawn by deBry/John White with the help of Thomas Harriot

This map showing colony settlement, published by The Virginian-Pilot, shows Gum Neck where Tramaskecooc was shown on almost all the contact period maps.
This map shows Buxton, the Croatan Indian site.
Published by The Virginian-Pilot.


John White drawing of Secotan Village, 1585
John White drawing of Pomeiooc

Wingina, Roanoke Island Indian Chief
Prusha, wife of Wingina

John White drawing of fort in Puerto Rico, constructed by Ralph Lane, 1585
Triangular Colonial fort similiar to the fort excavated in Jamestown. All forts in the area of Roanoke Island, Port Ferdinando were earthen forts with a wooden palisado. Possibly five forts were built in North Carolina with 12' trees trunks placed vertically on top of a 12' berm.

Probably the oldest English artifact found in datable strata in North America. Strata is carbon-dated 400 years old. The seal on the ring is registered in England to the Kendall family. An Abraham Kendall and a Captain Kendall were on the roster of the 1585 Roanoke Voyage. The ring was found at Croatan in Buxton. Published by The Virginian-Pilot.

Spanish Deposition of Pedro Diaz, 1589. (See Research Paper on Account of Pedro Diaz.) The Lost Colony Center retrieved this document from the Spanish archives and had it retranslated. (See Newspaper Article of Old Account on 2/3/05.)
This land grant to Williams Elks (and the rest of the Hatteras Indians) in 1759, from the state of North Carolina, is the Croatan Indian site in Buxton, listed here as "Indian Town".
Published by The Roanoke Beacon.

The property in the Samuel Elks' deed of 1777 is our purported Tramaskecooc Indian village, now Buck Ridge/Gum Neck, as shown in the Virginian-Pilot map above.
The Elizabeth Elks' deed for the sale of the Croatan Indian site was executed in 1802 and recorded in 1823. She is believed to be the last Croatan Indian living at the Croatan Indian site in Buxton. Thirteen deeds have been discovered selling off Indian land and this is believed to be the last deed. All others deeds were to Europeans.

The Henry Gibbs deed is for the sale of property called "Old Indian Town", which is Frisco, NC, and where the Lost Colony Center has permission rights. William, Mary, Thomas and Elizabeth Elks (Hatteras Indians) own 1/2 of the Indian site. It is believed that Henry Gibb's descendents are intermarried into the descendents of the Croatan/Hatteras/Mattamuskett Indians numerous times.

Alligator River
LandSat Image

Both of the above are LandSat images and show the Alligator River. The Tramaskecooc Indian site is at the head of the river.

Buck Ridge

Both of the above are IKONOS images. The images are manipulated with software to enhance the areas of high ground with mineral soils suitable for growing corn. Those areas are shown in pink. The resolution of the images is one meter.

Infrared Image - Port Ferdinando

Coastline depicted in various maps
Fort Raleigh vs. Shallowbag Bay area

Historic inlets
Showing suggested location of banks and inlets at time of Roanoke voyages.

Soil moisture in Roanoke area from 1580 to 1600
Soil Mapping


Beechland Gravestone


Barbara A. Midgette and Fred L. Willard
Published by The Coastland Times.
Archaeological dig in Buxton
Published by The Washington Daily News.

Measuring depth of site
Published by The Virginian-Pilot.

Field trip looking for John White's Algonkian village. (MHG-M photo)

Location of two wells at Waterside Theater on Roanoke Island
Published by The Washington Daily News.
Monument to Port Ferdinando

Hand dug skiff ditch
Establishing marker for location of riven coffins

Dr. Carolyn Mahoney, ECSU
Published by The Washington Daily News.
ECSU collaboration
Published by The Virginian-Pilot. Photo by Drew C. Wilson.

Heber A. Squyars grave in Gum Neck

Buxton dig, Summer 2006

Go Home

   Copyright © 1999-2014 ~ All Rights Reserved